Proper dishwasher maintenance is essential in order to get the most out of the machine and extend its usable life. Maintenance should be performed regularly, with a set daily, weekly and monthly schedule. A small amount of preventative care can save long hours of work later on, as well as the expense of a repair or replacement. The manufacturer of your particular dishwasher model should have provided particular instructions for their product, but the following tips can help you to get the most out of any machine.
• Turn off the dishwasher when it is not in use.
• Leave the door open if the dishwasher will not be used overnight. This prevents the build up of odors.
• Ensure that you do not use rinse aid if your dishwashing detergent already contains it. This can cause excess foam and may damage the machine samsung dishwasher repair los angeles.
• Check if your area has hard or soft water. Use a commercial water softener to prevent the build-up of limescale in areas with hard water. Limescale can clog sprayer holes and damage the machine.
Each Load of the Machine
• Remove any food scraps from the dishes and rinse lightly before loading the machine. This prevents food debris from clogging up the filters.
• Tea and coffee residue should also be discarded before the cups are placed in the dishwasher.
• Ensure that you are loading the machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Protruding dishes can prevent the sprayer arms from rotating correctly or stop the soap dish from opening once the dishwasher is running.
• Check that the filters are not clogged. Remove the filters and tap out any food remains. Clean the filters if necessary.
• Check the levels of salt and rinse aid in their reservoirs. Top up the reservoirs if it is necessary.
• Remove and clean the main filter to remove any food debris which has accumulated during washes. There may be another filter below the main filter. This should also be removed and cleaned. This build up of food remains can cause the growth of bacteria and prevent water from draining in the machine.
• Remove the sprayer arms and clean the water holes. Small items of food or limescale build up may block these small holes and prevent your dishwasher from cleaning at an optimal level.
• Clean the pivot around which the sprayer arms turn. Replace the sprayer arms and check that they are able to rotate smoothly.
• Wipe the interior of the dishwasher with a commercial cleaning agent. Ensure that no residue is left behind after cleaning.
Once a Month
• Check the integrity of the door seal and clean it.
• Check that there are no food or limescale deposits in any of the hoses. Clean or replace the hoses if necessary.
• Run the dishwasher on a “clean cycle” according to the manufacturer’s instructions for your model. This is a cycle that is run without any dishes loaded. It is generally a hot wash that is run with a commercial limescale and detergent remover added.